Sunday, May 10, 2009

Shi Men Dam

For the last long weekend vacation I spend the day at Shi Men Dam with a couple of other teachers. Shi Men is in Hanzhong. They use the dam for hydro-electricity. It was a very beautiful place.



If you can get this big enough it's always funny to read English written by the Chinese.


Before walking in we took some pictures at the gate.



This was a fountain that you were supposed to throw coins into. The point was to throw the coin into the fish's mouth and than all the fountains go off. I managed to throw my coin into the fish's mouth and set off all the fountains which was fun.


This is the rest of the fountain.



This is a picture of the dam.

Here is the other side.



Looking down from the dam.



Looking out from the dam.


My mother asked for a shot like this. Me standing in a crowd. Find the whitey!!

Officers at the dam. It's Michelle's thing to get pictures with police in other countries. She has some from Europe.


There was a walk way along the lake section which we walked and which has been there for many years.


Symbols carved into the stone.



This is my thing. I take pictures of fancy garbage cans and I found 2 at Shi Men.




This is looking back at the dam from the walkway.




In one of the towers there was a bell you could ring from 1 yuan so we did. We gathered a crowd as usual.




More pictures along the walkway.










Looking back at the dam as we were leaving the park.


Part of the walkway that was no longer in service.


On our way out there were these statues of the Chinese Zodiac. I am an Ox, so this is my picture with the Ox statue.

A man made waterfall.


More statues on the way out.




Another fountain.


When we entered the park area we saw a zip line with people going back and forth across the river in front of the dam. So of course I had to go. These are the videos I took while crossing back and forth. Hope they work.




No comments: